September 2017 – New company loss rules go ahead
11 September 2017
The Finance Bill due to be debated in early September will finally include the new rules for the set off of company losses that were originally announced in March 2016.
As a result of the first Finance Act being rushed through due to the snap General Election the legislation to introduce the new company loss relief rules were dropped. This led to considerable uncertainty as to the start date of the new rules but it has now been confirmed that the new rules will apply from 1 April 2017 after all.
So if your company diversifies into a new business activity the losses of one activity incurred after 1 April 2017 can be carried forward and set off against future profits of the new business. Previously such losses would have been ring fenced against future profits of the activity that incurred the losses.
There are new restrictions for companies and groups with profits in excess of £5 million and also changes to the set off of losses within a group.
We can of course assist you in ensuring that relief for losses is obtained in the most beneficial way.
- Financial Support for Businesses during Coronavirus (COVID-19) - 21 April 2020
- Coronavirus Update – 2 April 2020 - 2 April 2020
- Entrepreneurs’ relief lifetime limit slashed from £10m to £1m - 2 April 2020
- Chancellor ups annual pension allowance thresholds by £90,000 - 2 April 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic prompts one-year business rates holiday - 2 April 2020